What is polymer clay?
- Polymer Clay (sometimes accidentally spelled polimer clay) is an art medium that is known for its versatility, pliability and simplicity to work with. It is an oven bake modeling material composed of polymers, resins, coloring agents and fillers. Not a natural clay, it is man-made from a plastic, polyvinyl chloride (PVC) base.
- Polymer clay can be used in an assortment of crafts, including jewelry, home decoration, pottery, scrapbooking and sculpture. Techniques for working with the clay are borrowed from glass-making, metal-working, ceramics, sculpture and textile.
In case you're wondering, here are some fun facts about this material:
- Polymer clay is Non Toxic
- It dries faster than air dry clay
- It stays the same shape and size throughout the process even while baking
- It does not dry out
- It is durable before and after baking
- Its very simple to store
- It requires careful baking temperatures
- Its easy to clean up
- and it goes a long way! A small cube can last you forever
Just wanted to share some reasons for why I continue choosing to use this medium. Once baked, clay jewelry lasts as long as you care for it. Even better, handmade polymer clay jewelry is lightweight and easy to maintain.
Thinking about it, what a great investment right? Head back to my homepage to discover which new designs I've been working on.
*All items are handcrafted using polymer clay here in San Antonio, Texas.